Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Odds and Ends...

So, I just finished opening the last of my 6 boxes of SPX Hockey. By far the hottest card I pulled was a GU/Auto Patrick Kane RC #'d to 499. I hit some Sids as well as Gretzky, Messier and Mr. Hockey himself, Gordie Howe. I will pick up some singles here and there but for the most part I'm done with SPX boxes. At some point I'll be putting stuff up on "that auction site that's so popular with the kids these days" but more on that at another time. I will be in Full Metal NHL Mode for the rest of the week. Brian Leetch gets his number retired tomorrow nite by the Rangers at MSG and then NHL All-Star Weekend begins. If its medically possible to fall into a hockey-induced coma, my chances appear to be excellent over the next 4 days.

I will watch the Superbowl (do I owe anyone money for using the actual name of the event?) and root hard for the Giants. However, my mind is beginning to focus on baseball again. I picked up Baseball America yesterday and I can feel the itch begin creep its way up my body now. I am anticipating Topps and UD 2008 Baseball releases and honestly I can't wait. For us baseball fans, the month of February is the longest of the year. so I hope the new 2008 stuff helps the time go by a bit quicker. Of course, I would really be jacked if the Mets could land Johan Santana before we elect a new President but there hasn't been much movement on that front.

Speaking of the Santana situation, I was thinking about the Twins GM (Bill Smith) and while I respect the fact that he's trying to get the best deal he can in return, his hemming and hawing has painted him into a corner. He already lost ANY possibility of getting Phil Hughes from the Yanksees because of his terminal indecision. At some point, he has to quit being tenative and pull the trigger. As it stands now, he is coming off as scared and that is no way to run a team. Even though I rue the day he was ever born, ex-Met GM Jim Duquette stuck to his convictions (as misguided as they were) when he decided to trade Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano. It was a risky deal that ultimately cost the Mets dearly as well as costing Duquette his job. Kazmir was an unknown quantity (by Major League standards) and Zambrano was a promising young arm. As it turns out, Kazmir is now a human strikeout machine and Zambrano walked off the mound at Shea crying for his mother because his elbow was shredded. The point is that Duquette went ahead with the deal because he thought it was in his club's best interest. At some point Smith has to take a deep breath and make a move, no matter what the possible outcomes may be.

Be that as it may....a pox upon thee James Duquette!!!

Wow, I actually feel better!!!

No comments: